Savannah Shoplifting Defense Attorney
Dedicated Defense Against Theft by Shoplifting Charges
Theft, robbery, and shoplifting are often used interchangeably, though the offenses are distinct and incur different penalties. In Georgia, shoplifting refers to stealing merchandise products from a retail store. Shoplifting is one of the most common forms of theft throughout the country, and the harshness of the penalties reflect the nationwide attempt to limit its prevalence.
If you or a loved one are facing a shoplifting charge in Savannah, contact The Lerch Law Firm. Our lawyers can provide you with the experienced, professional defense you need to fight your case and redeem your freedom.
Contact The Lerch Law Firmto begin with a free consultation.
What Counts as Shoplifting?
Shoplifting is recognized as taking merchandise from a store without paying for it. However, it’s important to note that additional practices could qualify as shoplifting, including:
- Swapping the tags of two items to charge a different price
- Moving merchandise into different packaging
- Altering the price tag to change the price
- Any act that causes the merchandise to be sold at a price other than what the store intended
Even if the person goes through the checkout line and pays for the item, if it is not the amount the store intended it to be sold at, it can qualify as shoplifting.
What Are the Penalties for Shoplifting in Georgia?
When found guilty of shoplifting in Georgia, the person is charged based on the value of the item they stole. For property less than $500, the person is subject to a misdemeanor conviction resulting in a fine up to $1,00 and/or up to one year in jail. The case becomes a felony punishable by one to ten years in jail if:
- The property is worth $500 or more
- The property was stolen from three separate stores in the same county within three days and the aggregate value exceeds $500 or more
- It is the person's fourth on subsequent conviction
Defenses Against Shoplifting
As soon as you contact our attorneys, we will begin reviewing your case and crafting a powerful defense. Some common arguments that we may be able to apply to your case include:
- You have been mistaken with another individual and are innocent
- The property you were accused of stealing was something you already owned
- You were unaware that the price was fraudulently changed
Each case is unique, and so is our defense in response to it. If you’re facing a shoplifting charge, call The Lerch Law Firm for immediate legal assistance.
For more information, call our lawyers today: (912) 417-5008.
16 Counts Including Forgery Charges Dismissed
DUI Reduced to Reckless Driving
Illegal Gun Possession Dismissed
Possession with Intent to Distribute Dismissed
State of Georgia v. B.B. Case Dismissed
State of Georgia v. C.G. Case Dismissed
State of Georgia v. C.W. DUI reduced
State of Georgia v. E.C. Case Dismissed
State of Georgia v. H.S. Charges Dismissed
Over a Decade of Criminal Defense Experience
Over a Thousand Cases Successfully Handled
AVVO 9.5 Rating
Accessible & Responsive Representation
Free Initial Case Review