DUI Laws in Savannah
In the state of Georgia, it is illegal for a person to operate a motor vehicle when:
- Any driver has a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08% or higher
- A driver of a commercial vehicle has a BAC of .04% or more
- A driver under the age of 21 has a BAC of .02% or more
- Under the influence of alcohol or any drug (including prescription medication) to the extent it is less safe for the person to drive
Georgia DUI Penalties
A conviction of a DUI can result in severe consequences. The specific punishment will be determined based on the number of previous offenses the individual has had in the past 10 years.
The penalties typically include:
- Jail time
- License suspension
- Community service
- Completion of a mandatory treatment program
The sentencing guidelines for DUI convictions in Georgia include:
- First offense – 10 days to 12 months in jail, a fine of $300 to $1,000, 40 hours of community service, and up to a 12-month license suspension.
- Second offense – 90 days to 12 months in jail, a fine of $600 to $1,000, 30 days of community service and up to a three-year license suspension.
- Third offense – 120 days to 12 months in jail and a fine of $1,000 to $5,000, and possible license revocation.
Addressing Your DUI-Related Concerns
Thanks to our more than 10 years of experience as a Savannah DUI lawyer, our lead attorney knows the main concerns many people have when they find themselves in this situation. We know how worried they are about losing their driver's licenses, facing jail time, and having to pay expensive fines. As a result, we work diligently in an attempt to have their cases dismissed or their charges reduced.
Learn more about the specific ways our criminal defense attorney can help you:
- Administrative license suspension
- Chemical testing
- DUI and drugs
- Field sobriety tests
- Implied consent
- Under 21
Not All DUI Charges Are the Same
It is important to remember that not all DUI charges are the same, and neither are all DUI penalties. At The Lerch Law Firm, our experienced Savannah DUI attorneys have handled thousands of cases and builds individually tailored DUI defense strategies. We know that each client and each case is truly unique.